Tai Yến Cake (Bánh Tai Yến) is usually sold on street hawkers. It is also the favorite snack of Saigonese.
Its edge is really crispy. However, in the middle, it is really soft like steamed rice cakes (bánh bò).
- Rice flour: 1kg
- Sticky rice flour: 50g
- White sugar: 600g
- Yellow sugar: 50g
- Water: 1 liter
- Vanilla starch
- Mix rice and sticky rice flour in 1 liter water, knead well in 7 – 10 minutes.
- After that, add more sugar into this mixture and stir gently. And then, add more ½ teaspoon vanilla starch, stir gently and wait for 15 minutes before frying.
- Now, we start making one of amazing Vietnamese Dessert Recipes. Let us more concentrate, ok? Heat the oil (4 – 5 tablespoons – make sure it will cover all Tai Yến cakes when frying). Scoop each medium scoop and pour slowly into pan. When one face turns yellow, use chopsticks to turn another face.
- Next, put them on basket added paper napkin to absorb wasted oil. This cake requires its edge has to be crispy when its middle has to be soft like Bánh Bò (steamed rice cakes).
- From my tips, if you want these cakes bigger when frying, add more a little water (just more a little, not much).