(Miến Măng Gà) - Cassava Vermicelli with Chicken and Bamboo Shoot is very popular among many others Vietnamese Noodle Recipes.
- 1 whole chicken (weighted about 1kg)
- 300g dried or fresh bamboo shoot
- 500gr cassava vermicelli (depend how many people in your family)
- 1 branch of ginger
- Dried onions, spring onions, salt, fish sauce, laksa leaves, chillies, sugar and garlics.
- Wash the bamboo shoot, remove the wilting and hard stalks, and tear the young stalks to smaller threads. Soak in cold water in 1 – 2 days, every day, replace the water 2 – 3 times so as the bamboo shoot will not be sour.
- Add bamboo shoot in boiled water and boil it. After each boiling time, wash it with cold water. Repeat the action 3 – 4 times then take it out and let it dry.
- Wash the dried onions, dry it. Then, grill it until its colour turns into gold. Peel the ginger’s skin off, half of it is sliced, the other half is used for ginger fish sauce as accompanied dish.
- Wash the chicken with light salty water, boil water, add the chicken in and scald it to remove any impurities. Then, take the chicken out and wash again.
- In order to make this dish as one of truly traditional Vietnamese Noodle Recipes, you need to chop off the head and neck of the chicken and put it into a bowl separately.
- Next, add the chicken, included its head and neck, into the stove. Add some sliced ginger, 1 coffee spoon of salt, dried onions, boil them. Boil for 10 – 15 minutes (depend on how big the chicken is), turn off the heat; seal the lid to let the chicken be cooked gradually. Wait until the chicken broth is cool down; take the chicken out into a tray with some cold iced cubes in it so that the chicken’s skin will be crunchy.
- Take the chicken out to a plate; slice the breast of the chicken, the chicken lap you can keep it originally or you can tear it into pieces. Remember to keep the chicken bones and add it back to the stove, continue to cook with spring onions, ginger and the chicken’s head & neck. It will enhance the flavour to your broth.
- After the bamboo shoot is boiled thoroughly, stir fry the onions and bamboo shoot with 2 coffee spoons of salt, some pepper and then add some chicken broth in, seal the lid, cook in 5 – 10 minutes. Then, add the bamboo shoot into the chicken broth stove, cook it and adjust the taste.
- Wash & mince laksa leaves and spring onions. Scald the vermicelli in boiled water then wash with cold water so that the vermicelli will not stick together.
- Mince garlic, chillies, ginger and sugar together. Mix with fish sauce and adjust the taste.
- When you serve this delicious noodle soup, take the vermicelli into a bowl, add some bamboo shoots, some chicken slices and chicken lap on the surface; pour the chicken broth into the bowl, sprinkle spring onions, laksa leaves with the ginger fish sauce aside.
- I still remember every death anniversary occasions of my grandparents, my mom and aunts always make Cassava Vermicelli with Chicken and Bamboo Shoot because my grandparents used to love this dish very much. And just like that, the dish has become part of my childhood and is a piece of my memory which I can never forget !