(Bánh Mì Ốc Quế Nhân Kem) - Cone Bread with Custard Filling Recipe is one of my favorite dishes when I was a child. My mom and aunts usually made them in weekends. This dish comes from many delicious Vietnamese Sandwich Recipes.
Ingredients- Wheat flour: 500g
- Fresh milk (no sugar): 200ml
- 2 eggs
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- White sugar: 100g
- Butter: 50g
- Yeast bread: 1 ½ teaspoons
For Fillings- Fresh milk (no sugar): 350ml
- 3 eggs,
- White sugar: 70g
- ¼ bowl tapioca starch or wheat flour,
- Salt: ½ - teaspoon
- Vanilla: 1 teaspoon
- Pattern for making cone bread or aluminum papers.
Process- Making filling: Stir eggs gently in 15 – 20 minutes. Next, add tapioca starch into bowl and mix well until they combine together.
- Pour fresh milk + sugar into pot, bring to cook until sugar is melted.
- Pour the hot mixture milk into mixture eggs in step 1, stir gently and nonstop to make sure eggs will not be cooked. Then, bring this mixture to cook again in small heat. Do not stop stirring when cooking. When mixture becomes thick and boil, turn off the heat. Wait to get cold and add vanilla starch into pot.
- Pour mixture egg in step 3 into nylon bag like photo below and put in fridge (on vegetable drawer).
- For cover: If you do not have cone pattern, you can use aluminum paper instead. Cut these papers into square shapes (25 * 25cm). Next, fold into triangle shapes and use your hand to create a cone.
- Cook fresh milk until it reaches 60 degree. Pour slowly yeast bread into this mixture. Wait in 5 minutes to blow.
- Mix well all dried ingredients for making bread: wheat flour, salt, sugar.
- Pierce a hole on the center of mixture flour and add more eggs and mixture yeast in step 6. Use your hands to stuff well. Stuff until it is soft and smooth. Add slowly sliced butter and stuff more 2 minutes.
- Cover carefully this mixture by nylon bag and wait in 1 – 2 hours. Next, separate into small balls equally. Then, use nylon bag and cover each ball again, wait more 5 minutes.
- Use hands to roll them into long pieces.
- Roll gently each long piece around aluminum paper corn shape from top to bottom. Put on grilling tray. Cover carefully in 15 minutes before bring to grill.
- Stir well 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Use small brush to spread mixture egg on face of breads.
- Bring to grill at 180 degree in 10 – 20 minutes. When their faces turn brown yellow, bring it out the grilling stove. Wait to get cold, pull the aluminum paper out and add filling into breads.
-You can use for breakfast with a glass of milk. It will bring many energy to start new day.