(Bún Chả Nướng) - Grilled Pork Balls with Vermicelli is served with many types of herbs and specific dipping sauce.
It is sold on Hanoi Streets and really easy to find out. When you ask many Hanoian, they will tell you many delicious popular street food and one of them is here.
- 400g grinded pork
- Spices to marinate pork: 2 tablespoons honey, ½ teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 teaspoon salt.
- Spring onion (use the white part), purple onion
- 1 carrot
- ¼ green papaya fruit
- Dipping sauce: Sugar, fish sauce, vinegar and water with proportion 2:2:1:2
- Vermicelli, ong choy/water spinach, salad, coriander, perilla, Vietnamese balm (kinh giới)
- Bamboo chopsticks, salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar.
- Smash the white part of spring onion. Peel off the cover of purple onion + slice small.
- Pour grinded pork into big bowl, marinate all spices you need as I listed above + onions in step 1. Mix well and cover carefully in 5 – 6 hours.
- Peel off the cover of carrot. Slice small. Peel off the cover of green papaya fruit, slice small as well. Mix sliced papaya with carrot into small bowl. Add a little salt want wait in 10 minutes. Use your hands to press out all water. Next, soak them with a little sugar, vinegar until they have a little sweet and sour flavor.
- Making dipping sauce: boil the water and sugar. Wait to get cold, add more slowly fish sauce, vinegar and season to suit your flavor. Next, add more minced garlic and chili.
- Soak bamboo chopsticks into cold water. With this step, these sticks will not be burnt when grilling. Next, chop in half for each one.
- Clean all vegetables with water added a little salt in 2 – 3 times. Then, clean again in fresh water.
- Separate mixture pork in step 2 into small balls. Next, press thinly and stick around chopstick.
- Bring to grill until their faces turn brown yellow and spread the fantastic flavor.
- When serving, add a little mixture carrot and papaya into dipping sauce, sprinkle a little pepper on face of sauce to increase its specific flavor.
- You should eat Grilled Pork Balls with Vermicelli when it is still hot. Eating with vermicelli, dipping sauce (soak grilled pork into this sauce) and vegetables is the popular way of Hanoian.