Vietnamese Grilled Red Snapper Fish with Lemongrass and Chilies (Cá Diêu Hồng nướng sả ớt)- Wrapped in banana leaves, the infusion of the lemongrass’s fresh, bright and grassy flavors on the delicate meat of the snapper, over the heat of slowly, fire charming coals is phenomenal.
- Red snapper:1 whole big
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Fresh lemongrass: 2 stalks
- Fish sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Peanut oil: 3 tablespoons
- 2 chilies
- Wash fish and pat dry with paper towels. For the whole fish, make 2-3 ¼” cuts diagonally across the fish body.
- Smash the stalks of the lemongrass. Reserve about 1cm stalk and chop finely or crush in mortal and pestle.
- In bowl, combine garlic, fish sauce, sugar, oil, chili, crushed lemongrass in both forms. Let diced chili infuse in marinade for about 5 minutes, then remove chilies and set aside for later use. Most my Vietnamese Fish recipes usually use garlic, fish sauce and chili. I think it can improve the flavor for dish.
- Pour marinade over fish. For the whole fish, place the smashed lemongrass stalks in the body cavity of the fish. This will give extra lemongrass flavor.
- Let marinade for about 20 minutes.
- Place fish on hot grill, cool for about 2 minutes on each side for fillets, 10 minutes on each side for whole fish, or until cooked to your liking. Cook time for whole snapper will also depend on the size of your dish. Vietnamese Fish recipes like this dish, crispy skin is most important to increase delicious flavor for your meals.
- Remove fish from grill and dress with diced chili.
- Serve Vietnamese Grilled Red Snapper Fish with Lemongrass and Chilies with a hot boiled rice bowl and fish sauce with sliced chili. It is really amazing when the weather is cold. You should use fresh fish to cook Vietnamese Fish recipes.