(Mứt Cóc Chua Cay) - Sour and Spicy Yellow Mombin Jam. A little sweet, sour and spicy from this fruit will create an interesting feeling when tasting.
You can add more ginger when making this jam. If your friends visit your house, you can share this dessert while chatting.
- 1kg Yellow Mombin Fruits (Choose the Green Skin Ones)
- 400gr white sugar
- 1 cooking lime (vôi) – buy at vietnamese markets
- 1 small clove ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (depends on your flavor).
- Mix cooking lime (vôi) into cold water ( 3 – 4 liters). Wait in 15 minutes and use the water above, pour away the dregs below. Peel off the cover of ginger and slice into fibre.
- Peel off the cover yellow mombin fruits. Chop in half or fourth pieces. Soak into mixture water in step 1 in 5 – 6 hours.
- After that, wash in clean water in 3 – 4 times and wait to dry.
- Mix sugar and chopped yellow mombin fruits together. Mix well and wait about 4 – 6 hours. Depend on your flavor, you can adjust sugar for this jam.
- Bring mixture in step 4 to cook in small heat.
- Next, add more chili powder + sliced ginger into pot and continue cooking in small heat. Sometime, you use chopsticks to stir well and gently.
- Cook until sugar water turns brown yellow and become thick. Turn off the heat. Arrange yellow mombin on grid and wait to dry in 2 hours.
- Finally, Sour and Spicy Yellow Mombin Jam for this Tet holiday is already finished. Store in glass jar and use day by day.