(Canh Chua Cá Lóc) - Sour Soup with Snakehead Fish. We usually combine this soup when eating with braised fish and boiled rice.
If you are a tourist, make sure you will not miss it when visit Vietnam. You can go any restaurant and order Sour Soup with Snakehead Fish.
- 800g snakehead fish
- ½ pineapple
- 1 tomato
- 2 tablespoon tamarind
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 50g lady finger vegetable
- 50g bean sprout
- 50g Dọc Mùng – Buy at Vietnamese Markets
- 1 Chili
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Rice paddy herb – Rau ngổ
- Spices: salt, pepper, sugar
- Clean fish carefully in water added a little salt in 2 – 3 times. Next, clean again in fresh water. Slice into short pieces (2 – 3cm).
- Marinate sliced fish with spices: salt, pepper a sugar. Mix well and wait in 30 minutes.
- Peel off the cover of pineapple, cut off their eyes and slice thinly. Clean tomato and slice fiber. Next, clean lady finger and slice into short pieces.
- Peel off the cover of Dọc Mùng, slice into short pieces and use your hand to press gently with a little salt. Then, bring to wash again with fresh water. Then, soak into hot water about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Clean all bean sprout and rice paddy herb.
- Mix well tamarind with a little hot water. Filter to get its water for cooking. Depend on your flavor, you can use how much tamarind you want.
- Boil water, season with fish sauce, sugar and tamarind water in step 6so suit your flavor.
Next, add sliced pineapple into pot, when water boils again, add more sliced fish and cook until it is cooked. Sometime, use spoon to scoop away dirty bubby to create a clear and delicious broth.
- Cook about 7 – 10 minutes, Continue to add sliced tomatoes, lady finger into pot. Stir gently if you do not want to break fish meat. Then, add more bean sprout and sliced rice paddy, cook more 2 – 3 minutes, season again and turn off the heat.
- Finally, Sour Soup with Snakehead Fish is ready to serve.