(Xôi Ba Màu) - Steamed Sticky Rice in 3 Colors is the combinations between purple from Cẩm leaves, green from pandan leaves and yellow from mung bean.
Here is the great dish to serve visitors in the first day of Tet Holiday. It can make your new year with many lucks and happinesses. This dish comes from many spectacular Vietnamese Recipes.
* Steamed Sticky Rice in purple part: 1 bunch Cẩm leaves (50gr). 1,5 bowls sticky rice, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
* Steamed Sticky Rice in green part: 1 bunch pandan leaves (50gr), 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
* Steamed Sticky Rice in yellow part: ¼ bowl mung bean (no cover), 3 tablespoon s sugar, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
Roasted sesame and peanut
Extra sugar for using with steamed sticky rice.
- Clean Cẩm leaves (only use leaves). Put them into pot, add ½ tablespoon water, cook until leaves makes water turns purple color. Filter this mixture, use purple water and throw away leaves.
- Clean carefully sticky rice. Soak ½ sticky rice into purple water (in step 1) added a little salt and wait 1 night.
- Next day, pour them on basket and wait to dry. Next, bring to steam. Sometime, use wood spoon to stir well and add more sugar + salt + oil into sticky rice. Cook until it is soft and turn off the heat. Now, you finish one part for one of amazing Vietnamese Dish Recipes on Tet holiday.
- Clean carefully pandan leaves. Cut into short pieces. Put into grinder + ½ tablespoon water, grind well. Filter to get the green water. Throw away the dregs from leaves.
- Use the left sticky rice (in step 2) and soak into green water added a little salt. Wait for 1 night.
- Next day, pour them on basket and wait to dry. Then, bring to steam. Sometime use wood spoon to stir well. Add more sugar + salt + oil and mix well. Cook until it is soft. Turn off the heat.
- Clean mung bean in 2 – 3 times. Soak into water in 1 hour.
- Pour all mung bean into pot, add more water to cover all mung bean. Cook until they becomes soft. Turn off the heat. Next, pour mung bean into grinder and grind well with sugar.
- Pour grinded mung bean into pot again, use wood spoon to stir until it is dry and get cold. Put into vegetable drawer of fridge in 1 hour.
- Scoop 1 spoon of green steamed sticky rice into mould. Use spoon to press firmly. Next, use another spoon to scoop grinded mung bean and add on the center, use that spoon to press firmly again. Finally, you do the same process for purple steamed sticky rice. You do until all steamed sticky rice are out. I suggest you should do this process when steamed sticky rice is still hot. It help layers can stick together.
- Gently use your hand to pull mould out steamed sticky rice. Before using, sprinkle a little sugar, roasted sesame and peanut on face.
Now, Steamed Sticky Rice in 3 Colors is ready to serve.